Saturday, July 3, 2010

Swimming 3.9 k, the ironman distance

Tuesday, 22nd June 2010 :
I have been swimming a mile every week which is 64 laps in a pool. On 20th April 2010 i swam 2km quite easily and did 80 laps in 61 minutes. On 18th June 2010, swam 2.5 km which is 100 laps. Did that in 69 minutes.

My next jump was to swim 3.9 km, which is the ironman distance. To do this, there is a cut off off 2 hours 20 minutes. Was i cable of making this cut off and did i have the endurance. 22 days after comrades, i attempted the swim at Willingdon club at 6 am. Not sure how my body would respond as my legs were shot out due to Comrades run on 31st May 2010. Swam easy and followed the basic nutrition of having my pre race meal at 4am and a banana just before the swim. Swam easy and every 5th lap, i went hard. The other 4 laps were easy pace. That creates a variation and helps me stay focused. The key to swimming is also use an underwater mp3 player which i swear by. Called Finnis, its awesome.

I am probably an average or below average swimmer with no formal training. I swam the 3.9k in 1 hour 49 minutes. This is 31 minutes faster than the cut off for ironman. Not bad, at least i got this part solved.

Now i need to research how to swim more efficiently and that will help bring my time down.



No comments:

Post a Comment